What is Confirmation?
Though we’ve often heard youth referred to as the “future of our Church,” the truth is, parish youth are essential members of our Church community now. As such, it’s important that our faith community find continuous ways to engage and form parish youth in the faith throughout their life, encouraging them to discover and utilize their God-given talents for His glory.
One of the natural opportunities to accomplish this is through the Sacrament of Confirmation. The third and final sacrament of Christian Initiation, Confirmation marks a period of maturation in the Christian life. Baptismal promises are renewed and the candidate receives a new outpouring of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Through the laying on of hands and anointing by the bishop, the confirmandi are sealed and confirmed into full union with Christ. They are then commissioned to go out and share the Good News of Christ by both word and example. This is only truly possible, however, if the confirmandi have first entered into a personal relationship with the Lord themselves.
Who is Eligible?
Here in the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Confirmation traditionally takes place during the eleventh grade or junior year of high school. Our Confirmation program is open to any age-appropriate youth who is already a member of St. Angela Merici parish or who lives within our parish boundaries and has received at least two years of continuous faith formation prior to the sacrament. Confirmandi wishing to be confirmed at St. Angela Merici Church but who live outside our parish boundaries must first obtain a written letter of permission from their registered parish pastor or become a registered parishioner.
The Confirmation Preparation Process at St. Angela Merici:
Here at St. Angela Merici, we seek to adopt first and foremost a relational approach. Our hope is that Confirmation candidates will develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that will sustain them throughout their adult life. That they will come to know, love, and serve Christ and His Church, fully embracing a life of active discipleship.
To facilitate this process, Confirmation candidates must participate in our sacramental preparation program, which occurs within small group gatherings known as Discipleship Groups (D-Groups). These D-Groups are gender-exclusive, consisting of two safe-environment trained adult mentors and roughly 8-10 youth. They will meet a total of 10 sessions (roughly twice a month) at the date, time, and location determined by that particular group from September-March 2021-2022.
The D-Group must also complete a service project together and attend a mandatory Confirmation retreat, which will take place on Saturday, November 5, 2021, from 9:00-5:00 p.m.
Candidates will also attend an interview with either Fr. Beau Charbonnet, pastor, or our parochial vicar in late February/early March to determine their readiness to receive this important sacrament.
Below, you will find a summary of all important dates and preparation requirements as well as the necessary forms and waivers to register for this year’s Confirmation program. Registrations are due by Monday, September 6, 2021, and there is a mandatory orientation for both parents and candidates on Thursday, September 9, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. in the Gym. For more information about the 2021-2022 Confirmation Program, please contact coordinator Audrey Huck at email@example.com.
Summary of Confirmation Preparation Dates & Requirements:
- Mandatory Orientation for both parents and candidates – Thursday, September 9, 2021, in the Gym.
- Active participation in a D-Group (consisting of approximately 10 gatherings) in the months leading up to the sacrament. D-Groups will meet at the date/time/location determined by that particular group. All scheduled sessions must be attended.
- Mandatory Confirmation Retreat on November 9, 2021, from 9:00-5:00 p.m. (Location St. Angela Merici Campus).
- Personal interview with Fr. Beau Charbonnet, the parochial vicar, or Catechetical Coordinator Audrey Huck in late February/early March. These will be scheduled at a later date.
- Confirmation Sponsor Form & Confirmation Saint due no later than Monday, March 1, 2022.
- Participation in a service project (date and project determined by D-Group) no later than March 18, 2022.
- Attend Confirmation practice and Evening of Reflection with your sponsor on Sunday, March 27 from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
St. Angela Merici’s Confirmation is scheduled for Thursday, March 31, 2022